FlyBC "Site of the Day" - January 15/2019


FlyBC is in Manzanillo Mexico until March 1st

"Enjoy the little things, for one day you make look back and realize they were the big things." - Robert Brault
Locations of visitors to this page


      Date      
      Site      
Forecast
Winds
@
3000'
in knots
  Lapse  
Rate
°C/1000'

Cloud
Base
in Meters
Comments
1-15-2019
Pelican Bay this afternoon

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SW at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
Coaches Corner - FlyBC is closed until March 1 2019, but we are fully moved to Mexico til then.

For 2019 we are starting the year in Mexico doing private tours between January 27 til March 1st.

We are based in Manzanillo, Mexico where flights are cheap from Canada and the US.

The sunsets here are amazing as is the flying.



The best way to reach us is through email at this address: flybcpg@gmail.com

We do have a Mexican Cell Phone that can be reached by calling +523141659506 or +523141659505 from the US and Canada.

We turned off our Canadian Cells as Fido was ripping us off on the Roaming charges.

Our training costs are the same here in Mexico, $250 per day but that includes a beachfront hotel in the cost.



FlyBC is an authorized distributor for Ozone , SkyBean Varios, Gin , SupAir, Flytec/ Naviter, Blackhawk Paramotors , Wills Wing.



Used Gear List: Updated January 6, 2019

Harnesses for Sale:

Supair Access Airbag harnesses (new) - $650 without reserve (great lightweight harness)
Supair Radical 3 reversible airbag harnesses - $800 without reserve
SupAir Strike L demo harness - $1500
Ozone Forza L Harness - $1600 CDN without reserve
SupAir Delight 3 M harnesses - $1700 without reserve
Assorted used harnesses from $300 CDN.

Speedwings for Sale:

Ozone Rapi-Dos 13 metre - demo with no flights - $2400

Paragliders for Sale:

SupAir EONA (S) - EN-A demo wing - $2900 CDN without harnesses, all 2018 models
Ozone Atom 3 Medium or Large - $2900 CDN - demo wing 2018 models
Advance Alpha 5 hike & fly wing - EN-B - $2000 - 50 hours
Ozone Buzz Z5 ML - EN-B - from 2016 but it has only 50 flights on it - $2800
Ozone Buzz Z4 ML - EN-B - from 2013 but it has only 5 flights on it - $2000
Ozone Rush 4 MS (2 to choose from with under 10 hours) - $2650 CDN
Ozone Geo 5 MS - 2018 model - Bev's wing with 30 hours - $2800 CDN
Ozone Swift 4 MS - 2018 Model - $2800 - great shape
AirDesign Rise 3 Demo - M - 85-105 kgs - blue - just a few demo flights - $4200 CDN
SupAir Taska S - Red - 30 hours - 75-95 kgs - EN-C - $3000 CDN


Paramotors for sale:

Kangook Lite Frame with HE125 power. High hang point harness with option to add swing-arms for extra cost. $4500 CDN including taxes with only 15 hours of run time.

Kangook Lite Frame with Compact Radial MZ100 power. High hang point harness with option to add swing-arms for extra cost. $5500 CDN including taxes with only 4 hours of run time.

BlackHawk 125Lite Paramotor the new 125Lite Paramotor, 5 lbs lighter than the previous model - $7995 USD with Core glider of your size. BlackHawk 125 Lite Paramotor

1-14-2019
Pelican Bay this afternoon

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SW at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
Yoga Report - today was a yoga and car repair day. Yoga almost killed me and then I did errands and stopped at the shop that fixes car windows.

The Tracker window regulators had been sticking since I got the truck, and they fixed them in a few hours and charged me 800 pesos.

The forecast said itr was going to be light winds but when we went to dinner at Las Brisas (the Breezes) it was soarable.

1-13-2019
Pelican Bay this afternoon

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SW at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
El Toro Report - Derek offered up his Dodge to get Rainer, Zdenek, Colleen & I up to the El Toro Launch and Thomm offered to drive back down despite the last time we went up there!

We got up early with no trucks in a hole and had to wait a bit for cycles.

I took off first at 1130 am, rather early but some birds were thermalling already.

I caught a climb by the powerlines at the toe of the west side of the mountain and hung out there geting back above launch.

Colleen launched second and was headed my way when I saw a huge gaggle in a big climb right in fornt of launch and I headed to that gaggle.

I got there too low to catch the climb, so back to the original thermal where we climbed together (Colleen higher at this point).

She got some rough thermals and had to catch some surges, but my ride was rather calm.

Colleen bailed after 15 minutes of scratching around and headed to the Beach LZ.

I took out my selfie stick and did some videoing on the way out to the Beach too.

Rainer, Derek and Zdenek got above launch immediately and they got to 1250 metres.

Zdenek was having speedbar issues sohe headed out to the Beach too.

Derek flew out to our condo at Vida del Mar (marked by the red arrow) and arrived there at 500 metres, all into wind.

He made to the Beach LZ fine on the downwind leg.





Ozone Swift 5 Report - I love the new Swift 5.

It loves to thermal and it bites into weak thermals and climbs onto the big thermals.

Yesterday I took it into big winds at Woodside. Ground speeds of 3kph most of the time without bar. From the time I launched to the time I landed not one wing tip flutter.

Paddy was on his Artik 4. It is a C wing. He was on half bar and I was catching up to him on no bar. When he went on full bar I was on half and catching him.

It was crazy big lift everywhere. I was at 1200 over the Ranch and bagged a thermal to 1440 before I got out.

I was going to go to Harvest, then Riverside, and settled on the hang glider field. I was doing big ears, wing overs, half bar, full bar, no hands on the brakes, everything.

The wing was completely rock solid. I find I am using weight shift more than the previous wings. Staying off the brakes or using minimal brake pressure. No surprises.

Coming into the hang glider field Paddy said it was 'eventful'. I came into the field flying parallel to the highway and heading east.

Got popped a few times and it felt leeside. The wing just floated in for a no step landing. Come to think of it. I doubt it's the wing. I think it is more my skills - Martin N

1-12-2019
Pelican Bay this afternoon

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SW at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
Pelican Bay Report - Derek, Rainer & Zdenek went straight to Pelican Bay and after Rainer got dragged a few times it was deemed too windy. We left for Thomm's Birthday Dinner and a beautiful sunset.

1-11-2019
El Toro in Manzanillo, was the plan

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
El Toro Report - we had a plan to be on El Toro Launch before noon . . . but things fell apart quite quickly.

Jorge's dad has a Toyota Tacoma 4x4 so we ere meeting at the Indio Restaurant LZ at 11 . . . but they were late by 30 minutes.

Then Dad started driving up the road quite slowly as he is not used to 4x4-ing.

He almost went in a few of the sandy washouts but we shouted direction in espaneol.

We were 300 metres from the top when he did not see a big hole and we were stuck but good.



We were high centred so we hatched a plan to fly down and get Shaun G's Tacoma and a tow strap and come back to tow the other Tacoma out.

We hiked to launch and it was blowing in nicely so Colleen launched first and lost a wing tip for a second and made it out to the rocks where she was pinned in NW wind and had to speedbar out to the valley.

Shaun got ready next as he was a priority to get his truck and he had a good inflation but as he pushed off the wing frontalled and he landed below launch unhurt but his wing was in the bushes.

Jorge got ready next as Shaun was getting his wing out of the brambles, and he had one abort due to NW winds. The next inflation was good and he lunged forward and swung down through the trees but got away clean.

I got ready as the winds steadily went more NW and I could bring the wing up fine but as soon as it got overhead it would frontal or go soft?

Thomm was watching from higher up and he said it looked like a hand pushing down on the top of the wing as it got overhead. This was due to the NW flow rotoring over the slope. This happened two years ago when I got stuick on the mountian with no ride down, always happens after 1 pm, so get up here sooner than later.

I tried over 10 times and it was always the same result.

I had Shaun try the same 10 times or more once out of the bushes and we both had the same result.

We were in the lee but the thermals were tracking up the hill just high enough to let us inflate but not fly off.

The birds were soaring easily on the windward side, but the helipad launch we used to use has been taken over by a broadcast antenna so we don't have a NW launch anymore.

We bagged up and hiked back to the stuck truck and Shaun ran down the mountain to meet Jorge who ahd managed to rent a quad to come and resuce Shaun to get his truck.

Shaun and Jorge showed up at 6 pm with cold beer in Shaun's truck with a new towstrap.



The actual towing was fast and efficient and there was a turnaround right there so we were on way down just as the sunset.



This is the hole that we fell into, and it went down about 6 feet.



Lesson Learned: Get up El Toro by 1130 am and launch before the NW winds kick in! And don't drive into the holes!

1-7-2019 to 1-10-2019
El Toro in Manzanillo, then on to Pelican Bay this afternoon

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
Manzanillo Report - we have been lazy doing yoga and bike rides the past few days as Derek is in PV and Thomm arrived but is not flying so we were vacationing. Flying tomorrow.

1-6-2019
El Toro in Manzanillo, then on to Pelican Bay this afternoon

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SW at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
Manzanillo Report - we could not find Salomon for the keys or a ride up but it was too windy by noon anyway.

Colleen and I had a vacation day and went shopping and later heard from Wolf & Stephan that Pelican Bay was blown out too.

I picked up Thomm McE from the airport at 3 pm and he said it was a bumpy approach and landing and the final leg was nearly vertical!

1-5-2019
El Toro in Manzanillo, then on to Pelican Bay this afternoon

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SW at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
El Toro Report - we met Wolfie at El Indio Restaurant and went to Salomon's house to either get keys or a ride up. He was home and agreed to take us up in his Toyota truck for 900 pesos (500 for the truck and 100 per pilot), and if you have seen the road lately it was worth every peso!

We got to launch before noon and Derek, Colleen & Wolfie did some launch maintenance cutting trees and bushes while I got ready.

Lame launch cycles and it is a short takeoff so it is nice to wait for stronger launch cycles. I did two tries and aborted when the wing did not feel solid.

There were no birds soaring so that is a bad sign but we are here to fly and even a sledder here is glorious flying.

When I did launch I got no lift until the end of the rocky section where I circled with some vultures for a bit but even they gave up after a few minutes.

I was trying out a magnetic GoPro mount in the wing and got some interesting footage, more work needed on placement and angles.



Everyone had short flights up up to 20 minutes and later Pelican Bay did not work, but it was a great day getting our first flights of 2019.

Bev reported enjoying her first flight on Derek's old Swift 4 getting to 3000 metres at Tapalpa for more that an hour.

1-4-2019
FlyBC is closed in Canada until March 1 2019, but we are going to be flying Mexico every day until our return.

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SW at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
Colima Report - despite the SSE forecast we met up with Derek to fly La Cumbre in Colima.

We thought we were late for the shuttle so we headed straight up in my Tracker.

After we arrived on top we were the only pilots, but the rest of the trucks started coming up 10 minutes later.

The winds were lightly coming up and there was one pilot in the air, but it was a short flight for them and they landed in the Piano LZ.

Then the winds started blowing NE for a long time so we bailed and went to lunch in Centro.

On our drive back to the highway there was still no pilots in the air?

We drove back to Manzanillo and Pelican Bay for some soaring.

I was elected wind tech and got ready and took off into what seemed soarable winds but after three passes I was on the beach.



I was packing up when I saw Wolfie kiting on top (he had met us at the site as he was in Manzanillo on his motorbike).

Wolfie took off got up and away and had a nice 1 hour flight.



1-3-2019
Happy New Year!

FlyBC is closed in Canada until March 1 2019, but we are going to be flying Mexico every day until our return.

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SW at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
Manzanillo Report - we rode our bikes to yoga and back and by then I was too tired to fly so I had a nap til dark. No fly day!



1-1-2019 to 1-2-2019
FlyBC is closed in Canada until March 1 2019, but we are going to be flying Mexico every day until our return.

Manzanillo Forecast

Manzanillo Forecast:
AM Clouds/PM Sun. High 29C. Winds SW at 10 to 15 km/h.
240° @ 8
-3.0°C (unstable)

1800 metres
Coaches Corner - FlyBC is closed in Canada until March 1 2019, and we are fully moved to Mexico til then.

The sunsets here are amazing as is the flying.



12-29-18 to 12-31-2018
FlyBC is closed until March 1 2019, but we are back for Christmas hoping for a few flights

Woodside Forecast

Harrison Mills Forecast:
Cloudy. 40 percent chance of flurries this morning. Temperature steady near plus 1.
040° @ 15
-3.0°C (unstable)

800 metres
Road Trip Report - Colleen and I boarded a quick flight to PVR and arrived to hop in the Tracker and drive to our new winter house in Manzanillo.

Meanwhile Martin N and a few others braved the cold and flew Woodside a few times.

Stop in and say hi to Bob if you are in the Valley.



Coquihalla Report - one last flight for the year from Simon who flew his Ozone XXLite 2 off three peaks in one day. #ironman





Vida Report - I left for Vancouver on the 18th and left alex, Nicole and Derek to fend for themselves at Vida.

Alex flew Pelican Bay and other others all flew El Toro a few times.

But the flight here at Vida took some guts! And he survived a beach landing.

The takeoff is a large lawn near the ocean.



Here he is benching up in front of the condos.



The ridge is not very contiguous but Alex made the jump over to the houses to the north.







FlyBC Paragliding Past Site of the Day Reports click to select the month and year you wish to review.



FlyBC Airsports
  1253 Kilby Road,  
Harrison Mills, BC
V0M 1L0
Cell: 604-618-5467
E-Mail: FlyBC E-Mail